Sunday, August 03, 2008

Have to go somewhere... and why to Ecuador

That was a long thinking process to decide where I should get lost this summer. No doubts it should have been South America. No doubts – northern part of South America (I like when it’s warm:) and definitely Spanish language area. Considering mentioned conditions and a fact that I have already walked a little bit through Venezuela and Colombia it was obvious long time before thinking process started that it has to be Ecuador… so probably will sound strange if I say that despite that Im still surprised that go to Ecuador. But I am:)
Of course Ecuador is not a big challenge after Colombia done last year but I thought - let it be. There is all I need – jungle, mountains, vulcanos, wild pacific coast, rum and something else in the air, that is only in Southamerican air.
So, just 4 weeks before holiday I’ve bought a flight ticket and now with a guidebook in my pocket in theory I’m ready to go, although don’t feel it at all… but the feeling will come - probably after arriving to Quito... or at least when my bagpack will be ready (a job for this night;)
Have no specific travel plans for the time being. But I know what I will not do. I will not try to climb Cotopaxi (6000m – simply too high), will not go to Galapagos Islands (everyone go there, poor turtles..) and I will avoid some other touristic highlighted sites like mitad del mundo or market in Otavalo (it’s just too crowded). I’m also a little bit bored with some activities in the jungle like fishing piranias (never ever success!), watching caymans, swimming with pink dolphins… Hope for some new exciting experiences, if not – it will be enough just to be there. Hanging in hammocks, eating sweet mango, listening local music, killing mosquitos etc… and I will let life to write scenario.

No comments: